Translate Documents for Belgium Visa

What Documents to Translate for the Cohabitation Visa Application

Depending on where you apply for the Cohabitation Visa and the original language of your documents, your local commune may require that your official documents are translated into French, Dutch, German or English. When my partner and I applied at the Brussels Central commune, our documents were originally in English and we were not required to translate anything.

Which Language?

Also, be careful because the language of the translation is chosen with regards to the official language of the Belgian commune where you will submit your application. Each Belgian commune has specific restrictions as to which language they will accept: French, Dutch, German and/or English. So, make sure you check what the appropriate language is before you pay money for an official translation. It is your responsibility to verify into which language a document needs to be translated into.

Also, make sure to check exactly which documents need to be translated before you waste money translating documents that do not require it. Translation fees can really add up. I have heard that it costs about 10-20€ per document.

How to Translate Documents

If your commune requires that you have your documents translated, it must be a certified translation.

  • A certified translation is a translation done by a sworn translator who is registered with the court of Belgium.
  • A translation also needs to be legalized as a separate document in accordance with your country of origin and then by a Belgian embassy or consulate.

The translation can normally be done either in your country of origin or in Belgium. You can get a list of “approved” translators if you need it from your commune or the Belgian embassy or consulate in your home country. Look on the website for the Belgium Embassy or Consulate in your country for a list of approved translators both in your country and in Belgium.



Comments are closed.